Monday, April 22, 2013

Science Fiction

As I mentioned in another post I am a huge science fiction and fantasy geek. I'm geeky about it enough about it that I thought I should give it it's own post.

Ever since I was a kid I have always liked things that were unrealistic. At the time, I didn't know that this was generally referred to as fantasy. If the movie or show had a monster in it, or if any of the characters has some kind of extraordinary super power then I automatically loved it.

This love of all things fantastical carries on to this day. I still love a lot of the things I liked as a kid. I still love Harry Potter. And my favorite show will always be Buffy the Vampire Slayer no matter what. The problem with loving fantasy and science fiction is that it's really hard to find good stuff. I just recently completed the show Battlestar Galactica and it quickly became one of my favorite television shows. The problem with this is that now after watching BSG, I'm finding it increasingly more complicated to like anything as much. All the shows seem to pale in comparison.

When it comes to more light harded science fiction, I always find myself comparing the shows to Buffy. I've never found a show that can so seemlessly combine genres the way Buffy did. There are no shows that Have a perfect blending of brilliant comedy and amazing epicness. Doctor Who is the closest show I've seen that does this. Although my issue with Doctor Who is that, while I love it, there are a ton of really awful episodes that are so difficult to get through. I almost gave up on the show all together because I couldn't get through season 1 since the plots were so terrible and the humor seemed really juvenile. Now I love the show, but it has not reached Buffy levels of love.

I've heard supernatural as one of the shows recommened for Buffy lovers, so I am going to give tha show a shot sometime soon. We'll see if it'll even come close to touching my love of the best show ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment